Sunday 28 June 2020

My Quarantine Projects


 
     So it’s been a while since my last post, the reason being that about two weeks ago I came off furlough and have been going back to work.

      So whilst that time of peaceful bliss has passed I do intend to keep up with the writing albeit at a bit more of a slower pace now. To be honest if I can manage one or two a week that will be great and there are a few ideas currently in the pipeline that should be making their way onto here soon.

      However for today I thought I would reflect on some of the projects completed during the lockdown period just to show how productive I’ve been and to record for prosperity.

      So here is a list of some of the things I have had time to do:


Sorted my stuff from Japan

      As my mum downsized house in Japan a few years ago, a lot of things from my formative years (books, comics, CDs, toys) were boxed up and put into storage. Fast forward to earlier this year and these boxes were now sent over to the UK via sea-mail. All 16 of them.
      As I was busy with work, sorting through them all was a slow process and so I ended up just piling them up in the box room, doing a bit every now and then when I had a spare moment. In lockdown I finally managed to complete this project with most of the stuff going into bookcases (ordered and built from Ikea) or being stored up in the loft. The Lego pirate ship you can see here was part of this project. You see that Billy Bookcase with Oxberg doors? There is another one on the opposite side of that box room plus another half size Billy next to it. Yes, I am the king of storage. And an IKEA building expert. In fact I would say around 80% of our house interior is from IKEA. It’s been 2 months and they still haven’t sent me that spare shelf that was missing from my order though… Their customer service isn’t the best.


Digitised my CD collection

      Of the 16 boxes mentioned above, at least 3 of them were crammed with CDs. As an avid music fan I used to buy a lot of CDs back in the day, the bulk of which were from between the time when I left school up to when I finished uni. Of course I’ve hardly bought any CDs since, what with everything these days being available digitally downloaded or streamed via the internet. But that heady period resulted in me amassing a huge collection of 300+ albums and the majority of them (bar one or two embarrassing purchases when I was really young: Wet Wet Wet album? Pocahontas Soundtrack? Ace of Base album?) are albums that I still treasure and would listen to to this day. I even bought a CD player off eBay so that I could play some of them through my speakers in the living room.
      But alas, CDs are a pain to keep chopping and changing and I tend to prefer to have my songs/albums as mp3s for ease of use (such as being able to put on an iPod - although even that is considered kinda old school these days!). So I undertook the mammoth task of ripping every single CD I owned complete with correct track listing and album artwork. During this project I processed on average about 20 albums a day so that gives you an idea of how long the whole thing took. The mp3s were then put on a hard drive and sorted by artist and genre, with each folder also showing the artwork so you get a decent at-a-glance view of all the albums within each genre. A good job done!
      Sadly I didn’t get around to ripping every single CD I own – I have plenty of promo CDs (that they always used to give away with music magazines back in the day) that I haven’t ripped yet and there is about 100+ of those and I had lost the will to live by then. Maybe one day...
      During the above process I naturally discovered a fair few of the jewel cases were smashed or cracked during their transit from the other side of the world so I replaced all of those as well. Now my collection is sitting beautifully (sorted by genre and alphabetic order) in the bookcases of the box room.


Sorting out my music hard drives

      Further to the above, I also had a huge music collection on various hard drives (mostly stuff I had accrued during uni and since). Two main libraries with thousands of songs on each and hardly any cross over with stuff that I actually own on CD.
      This was always something I wanted to sort out for the longest time and I finally had time to do so. The first pass was going through and deciding what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to delete. There were many partial albums or random songs I had accrued over the years that I would likely never listen to so I got rid of those. Next I grouped by artist and then by genre. Another good job done and it should now be much easier to search and browse the collection. Saved to a hard drive and backup made. Done!


Retroarch on my Switch

      Using custom firmware is a bit of grey area so I won’t go into too much detail here but I have always loved to hack my consoles, particularly the handheld ones.
      A project I completed during my lockdown, as well as upgrading the custom firmware on my Switch, was to get Retroarch running on it - a retro game emulator front end. A few NES, SNES, Gameboy and Megadrive games are on there now but the main focus was to get Arcade games working which I managed to be successful in for about 90% of my roms. Since the Switch screen can easily by flipped on its side for ‘Tate’ (vertical) mode and having turbo fire button options available (both of which are supported by Retroarch) makes shoot-em ups a dream to play. A surprising number of arcade titles have been ported to Switch anyway, but it’s nice to be able to play many more (and often niche) titles on this excellent and surprisingly versatile little console.
      Playlists are really finicky in Retroarch so unfortunately I had to rename every single arcade game (100+) and save it as a ‘favourite’ once confirming which core it best worked with in order to have a decent playlist to be able to select the games for subsequent play - but in my opinion was worth the time spent doing it in the end.


Video editing projects

      As previously written about here, I finally got around to finishing my Japan trip video that was on the backburner for over a year. You can see the final result of that here.
      Though that particular video did take a fair few hours to complete, it did allow me to get to grips with the new iMovie and therefore enabled me to put together future videos very easily and much quicker. I was able to therefore put out time-lapse videos for two lego builds as well as one for a jigsaw puzzle. Even since I have gone back to work I have done videos for a further lego build and puzzle and these will be posted about soon.
      Click here to see them all.


Lego photography


      Apart from the odd snap during my trip to Japan in October 2018 and the US in October 2019 I haven’t really been updating my Lego photography accounts on the regular since about September 2018. I guess I got to the point where I was feeling a bit burnt out with it all as it ended up feeling more like I job rather than something I truly enjoyed. I was after all keeping up with a schedule of posting a pic every other day for the majority of the time.
      However lockdown made me reflect on my creative outlets and re-inspired me to carry on with my projects and as a result I started up my Lego photography again. Looking back on my accounts I had been posting since 2014 with over 700+ Lego pics posted! That’s quite an achievement already but I feel that I’m not quite finished with it yet and felt having settled into my new house the time is right to get back into it. I think the key is to try and be less strict about the scheduling so as not to feel too pressured about regular posting.
      Maybe when I get to 1000 pics I may call it a day, but for now I’ll carry on as I still have many more figures that I have yet to take pictures of!


Blog writing


      And finally we get to this: the writing for this blog. I know hardly anybody reads the majority of these posts in reality (thank you if you are someone who has actually read this far!), but the truth is, writing this blog has been more for my personal development and discipline rather than the readership numbers. Again, being in lockdown has made me examine the skills I want to develop and achieving a steady writing output is one of them. Looking at the yearly post numbers I have now already managed to write more articles in 2020 than in any year since 2014 so I am happy with that achievement.
      As stated earlier, being back at work full time has made it more difficult to post regularly but I will try and continue regardless - albeit at a slower pace than I was posting during my furlough. As with the Lego photography it seems a shame to give up on projects I’ve spent years working on and will challenge myself to continue.



28th June 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment