Friday 4 January 2019

Preview: Top 10 Films of 2018 - Place your bets!


      What the hell?

      Where have you been?

      Why are you so devilishly handsome and sport such youthful looks that belie your increasingly malfunctioning body, near-constant existential angst and a general accumulation of decrepitude?


      I get asked these questions all the time – or variations thereon – and so I apologise for my absence. It’s the usual excuses: work, laziness, lack of inspiration, laziness, and er…. laziness. You get the picture. The fact that I haven’t written anything on this blog since the last end of year review for 2017 is truly shocking. I have a very love/hate relationship with my writing in general making it a constant battleground for my creative urges, (perhaps in itself an article for another time) but the past year has seen me take a step back and take stock of the situation. Also I was lazy AF.

      I’m not promising to go all out in 2019 but I want to be adding more film related content. Likely not full reviews as such but more just general musings on films I have seen or specific topics. Although I haven’t been writing much I have been more conscious of my voice, style and content so hopefully something more consistent and not just ye old straight up ‘film review’ which, let’s face it, everyone and their dog does these days, either written or on YouTube.

      Anyway, enough rambling. This is supposed to be the preview piece so you can see all the films that I watched in 2018. As usual, only the ones in bold will be eligible for the awards as they were the ones that got a UK release in the past year. So, peruse the list and place your bets on which ones will feature! (Disclaimer: this blog and/or the author does not condone gambling and the above imperative is entirely figurative with no actual currency being exchanged. Gambling can easily become a slippery slope and is bad for you, yo!)


22 July
A Simple Favor
Annihilation
Anon
Ant-Man & The Wasp
Apostle
Aquaman
Avengers: Infinity War
The Babysitter
Batman Ninja
Beast
Better Watch Out
Beware The Slender Man
Bird Box
Black Panther
The Blackcoats Daughter
BlacKkKlansman
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Central Intelligence
Coco
Colossal
The Commuter
Deadpool 2
The Disaster Artist
Fast & Furious 8
First Man
The Foreigner
Game Night
Gerald's Game
Ghost Stories
Gotham By Gaslight
The Greatest Showman
Halloween
Happy Death Day
Hereditary
Hotel Artemis
The House That October Built
I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
I, Tonya
The Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
It Comes at Night
Jason Bourne
Jigsaw
Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom
Leave No Trace
The Lobster
Mandy
The Meg
Mile 22
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Mowgli: Legend of The Jungle
Murder On The Orient Express
The Nun
Oceans Eight
Pacific Rim: Uprising
The Predator
A Quiet Place
Rampage
Ready Player One
Red Sparrow
Resident Evil: Vendetta
Roma
Sicario 2: Soldado
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Stonehearst Asylum
Tag
Tomb Raider
Wind River
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Unsane
Upgrade
Venom
When I Get Home, My Wife Always Pretends To Be Dead
Winchester
You Were Never Really Here


      So there you go. Comparatively I’ve not watched that many films this year so in case you wonder why ‘this film’ or ‘that film’ might not be featured on the my top 10 list, that's probably why.

      The list itself will be up shortly but in the meantime, if you want to check out my previous ‘Top 10 Films’ lists they are all here: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.


3rd Jan 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment